VCUarts Department of Painting + Printmaking, a national leader in fostering innovative studio research and practice, is committed to broadening the understanding of two-dimensional media in all its forms. Graduate students engage in two years of full-time course work and studio research aimed at a sustainable profession of artistic inquiry. Applications from artists seeking to cross boundaries between disciplines are welcome.
VCUarts Painting + Printmaking MFA Program highlights:
- Excellent teaching mentorships with leading practitioners, writers and curators
- Rigorous individual and group critiques and concept seminars
- Generous individual and private studio space
- Merit-based Graduate Assistantships, providing full tuition support and nine-month stipend
- Professional practice — regular curriculum/thesis related exhibitions and a bi-annual MFA Summer Show in NYC
- Opportunities to teach undergraduate classes
- Travel grants for professional presentation of studio research
- Outstanding technical resources including a comprehensive wood-shop and state-of-the-art print media facilities
- World class research library and access to history, knowledge and ideas
VCUarts Painting + Printmaking students consider the urgent issues of art today through regular meetings with artists who reflect unique artistic positions and perspectives on culture. Recent visitors include: Matt Connors, Daniel Joseph Martinez, Sean Joseph Patrick Carney, Mary Weatherford, Sara Greenberger Rafferty, Ralph Pugay, Jeffery Gibson, D-L Alvarez, Kristin Lucas, Chris Johanson, and B. Wurtz.
VCUarts is the #1 ranked public arts & design program in the country, according to US News & World Report.
Application Deadline: January 15, 2014
For more information or to apply visit arts.vcu.edu/paintingprintmaking/mfa/.
Subscribe to the Hyperallergic newsletter!