Applications are now available for SVA’s Summer Residencies in New York City, offering artists, designers, and creative thinkers time, space, and a supportive community in which to develop ideas and focus on their artistic direction.
In addition to SVA’s time-honored studio residencies, a variety of innovative professional immersion programs provide opportunities for artists to explore new areas of social and technological practice and engage critically with their field. A unique combination of creative and professional resources provides a rich environment for growth and opportunity in the current vibrant art scene.
Affordable housing is available, as are opportunities to exhibit and present work to the public.
Visiting artists, curators, administrators, and critics have included Vince Aletti, Suzanne Anker, Marshall Arisman, Heather Darcy-Bhandari, Jennifer Blessing, Meir Gal, Milton Glaser, Steven Heller, Viktor Koen, Anne Pasternak, David Ross, Jerry Saltz, Kay Takeda, Alice Twemlow, and Simon Watson.
“The SVA Summer Residency Program’s mix of aesthetic and practical concerns attracts a cross section of artists, from emerging talents to those in mid-career looking to rejuvenate and redirect their practice amid the creative chaos of New York City.” —Angela Riechers, Visual Arts Journal
Residency Programs offered during the summer of 2015:
- City as Site: Public Art as Social Intervention
- Design Writing and Research Summer Intensive
- From the Laboratory to the Studio: Interdisciplinary Practices in Bio Art
- Illustration and Visual Storytelling: Art and Industry
- IMPACT! Design for Social Change
- Implementing Impact! Strategies for Creative Intervention
- Painting and Mixed Media
- Typography as Language: Design, History and Practice
To find out more, visit sva.edu/special-programs/summer-residency-programs.