Elastic City Walks Festival returns to NYC on July 7th for six full weeks filled with new immersive performances and sensory experiences. If you’ve never heard of Elastic City before, they’re the NY-based pioneer of artist-led participatory walks, with the first-ever festival taking place just last year. Since 2010, Elastic City has made its audience into active participants in an ongoing poetic exchange with the places we live in and those we visit.
This time around, founder Todd Shalom, has expanded participatory elements by adding more artist talks and “ways” workshops. This year’s lineup features a diverse list of poets, performance artists, and visual artists, including:
- notable poet and critic Wayne Koestenbaum
- performance artists Karen Finley and her daughter, video artist Violet Overn
- comedic singer/performer Erin Markey
- set designer Mimi Lien
- singer-producer Julian Fleisher and his father, the legendary pianist Leon Fleisher
- Todd Shalom himself collaborating with theater director Niegel Smith
There are also workshops on prop comedy improvisation and an intensive filmmaking class.
More information about the artists and programming can be found here.
And what’s even better is that all walks, talks, and ways are free, which also means that spots are filling up quickly (with some already completely at capacity). However, we have two pairs of tickets to give away for two separate sold-out walks:
- “Making Marks” with Wayne Koestenbaum, in partnership with The Poetry Project, taking place on Thursday, July 16th at 7pm and will ask participants to explore Frank O-Hara’s “Second Avenue“
- “DADDY WARBUCKS, PLEASE ADOPT ME (A.K.A. THE ANNIE TOUR!)” with writer and performance artist Erin Markey in her final set of Annie tours. Markey will tour “filming locations” from the movie, where walk participants will learn its making-of history at real NYC sites.
To enter to win a pair of tickets to either Wayne Koestenbaum’s or Erin Markey’s walk, just join our newsletter below. Winners will be randomly chosen and contacted by the end of day on Thursday, July 9th. Contest ends Thursday, July 9th at noon.