On September 26–27, the Hammer Museum will present ALL THE INSTRUMENTS AGREE: an exhibition or a concert, a two-day program of back-to-back live performances by over 25 local, national, and international sound artists, music collectives, art bands, and visual artists whose practices extend into the production of sound. Hyperallergic is proud to be the media sponsor.
Conceived as an exhibition in the form of a concert, the continuous program of performances will alternate between two outdoor stages in the Hammer courtyard from 12–10pm each day.
Spanning a range of influences, genres, and styles, participating artists include
- industrial music pioneer Genesis Breyer P-Orridge
- Cairo-based artist Hassan Khan, whose live-mixed multi-track work Taraban will be performed for the first time in the US
- and GLITTERBUST, a new project by Kim Gordon and Alex Knost.
ALL THE INSTRUMENTS AGREE brings together a variety of disparate approaches to underscore the unruliness, temporality, and communal nature of musical and sonic performance as an art form that is inherently at odds with the conventions of exhibition.
ALL THE INSTRUMENTS AGREE will also be streamed live.
Visit hammer.ucla.edu/instruments for more details.
- Active Pass (Paul Kajander)
- Tarek Atoui
- The Bushes (Nick Lowe, Ry Rocklen)
- Concert (Chris Evans, Morten Norbye Halverson, Benjamin Seror)
- Simone Forti
- Brendan Fowler
- GLITTERBUST (Kim Gordon, Alex Knost)
- The God in Hackney (Andy Cooke, Dan Fox, Ashley Marlowe, Nathaniel Mellors)
- Rodney Graham with Paul Rigby
- Lonnie Holley
- Isambard Kingston Brunel (Lawrence Abu Hamdan, Shakeeb Abu Hamdan)
- Hassan Khan
- Kisk (Paul Cherwick, Tony Fernandez, Antonio Ortiz, Jon Pylypchuk)
- Landed (Shawn Greenlee, Joel Kyack, Dan St. Jacques, Bjorn Copeland, Matthew Johnson, Rick Pelletier)
- William Leavitt and Joseph Hammer
- Adam Linder
- LOBOTOMAXXX featuring Ron Littles (Nathan Carter, Tony Cox, Matthew Ronay)
- Los Angeles Free Music Society
- Net Shaker (Erik Frydenborg, Ernest Gibson)
- Odwalla 88 (Chloe Maratta, Flannery Silva)
- Penis (Samara Davis, Sophia Cleary)
- Genesis Breyer P-Orridge
- Tashweesh (Basel Abbas, Ruanne Abou-Rahme, boikutt)
- Waiting to Exhale (Frank Benson, Erik Frydenborg, Ernest Gibson, Matt Johnson)
The Hammer Museum will also host a conversation with Genesis Breyer P-Orridge & Simon Reynolds on Friday September 25, 7:30pm.
Genesis Breyer P-Orridge is an English singer-songwriter, musician, poet, and performance and visual artist. Described by some as a provocateur, others as an icon of the British avant-garde, her institutional recognition includes the Tate, which acquired her archives for its collection. Writer Simon Reynolds’ bylines include The Guardian, Frieze, and Pitchfork. He is the author of seven books on pop culture.
The full line-up can be found here.