On August 30, Brooklyn’s beloved, indie Ugly Duckling Presse (UDP) is throwing a “Rent Party” — a half-day event consisting of a pre-party, barbecue, and performances by NYC-based DJs, bands, and sound artists — in order to raise funds for their studio and 2015–16 lineup of poetry, nonfiction, and translation, including works by Robert Fitterman, Alejandra Pizarnik, and Sor Juana de la Cruz. Hyperallergic is proud to be the media sponsor.
All proceeds from the Rent Party will benefit Ugly Duckling Presse. Their workshop and letterpress studio is located inside the industrial complex of the Old American Can Factory in Gowanus.
For those unfamiliar, UDP is a small nonprofit press run by a volunteer editorial collective that publishes poetry, translation, experimental nonfiction, performance texts, and books by artists. Growing out of a 1990s zine, UDP has published more than 250 titles to date, favoring emerging, international, and “forgotten” writers. Its books, chapbooks, artists’ books, broadsides, and periodicals often contain handmade elements, calling attention to the labor and history of bookmaking. On top of that, in an effort to increase readership and accessibility, UDP decided to offer PDF “documentation” of full-length books for free download on their site. More info can be found here.
Pre-Party at ArtHelix / 299 Meserole Street, Brooklyn: 1pm
Rent Party at The Paper Box / 17 Meadow Street, Brooklyn: 3–11pm
- Afro-funk Latin fusion band Progress & DJ JJ (3:30pm)
- Acoustic singer-songwriter Alina Simone (5pm)
- Sound-art duo Eli Keszler & James Hoff (5:30pm)
- Unnatural Ways, guitarist Ava Mendoza’s noise-rock group (6:30pm)
- Energetic, eclectic Russian rockers Svetlana & the Eastern Blokhedz! (7:30pm)
- Platinum Vision, keyboardist Matt Mottel’s band of groovy dreams (8:30pm)
- Host of Legacy Radio DJ D-Skillz — expect hip-hop, R&B, soul, funk, ’70s, ’80s, ’90s (9:30pm)