Today, Guggenheim announced the following finalists for the 2012 Hugh Prize:
- Trisha Donnelly (b. 1974, San Francisco)
- Rashid Johnson (b. 1977, Chicago)
- Qiu Zhijie (b. 1969, Zhangzhou, China)
- Monika Sosnowska (b. 1972, Ryki, Poland)
- Danh Vo (b. 1975, Bà Ria, Vietnam)
- Tris Vonna-Michell (b. 1982, Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom)
A publication featuring the work of the six finalists with accompanying essays will be published in summer 2012. The winner will be selected and announced in fall 2012, followed by an exhibition of the artist’s work to be presented in 2013 at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York.
The prize is awarded biennially and past winners include American artist Matthew Barney (1996), Scottish artist Douglas Gordon (1998), Slovenian artist Marjetica Potrc (2000), French artist Pierre Huyghe (2002), Thai artist Rirkrit Tiravanija (2004), British artist Tacita Dean (2006), Palestinian artist Emily Jacir (2008) and German artist Hans-Peter Feldmann (2010). The winner also nabs $100,000.