The Metropolitan Museum of Art announced today that 6.28 million people visited the Met during the 2011/12 fiscal year that ended on June 30. The number is 600,000 more than last year and includes attendance to The Cloisters museum and gardens in Manhattan’s Washington Heights neighborhood. The number is the highest recorded since the Metropolitan Museum began tracking visitor attendance more than 40 years ago.
What doees 6.28M mean? Well …
- The population of Metropolitan Boston is 4,522,858 (via), Metro Philadelphia is 5,965,343 (via) and Metro Houston is 6,086,538 (via).
- The New York Yankees get 1,873,972 fans to their games, while the New York Mets only get 1,322,300 fans (their combined figures total just over 3 M)… hell, even the Philadelphia Phillies, which have the highest game attendance of any Major League Baseball team, only gets 1,968,859 to attend games (via).
- The US Armed Forces only have 1,456,862 active personnel (via).
- Magic Kingdom in Florida’s Walt Disney World welcomed 17,142,000 visitos in 2011 (via).
- And finally, only the Louvre art museum in Paris welcomes more visitors than the Met and they get 8,880,000 visitors (via).