Support Hyperallergic’s independent arts journalism.
Since March of 2019, Hyperallergic has offered this monthly resource for artists and creatives to share their work and find new opportunities. The arts and culture sector has since been severely impacted by the COVID-19 crisis, making grants and paid opportunities for independent artists and cultural organizations more important than ever.
- Abrons Arts Center is accepting applications for its Visual Artist AIRspace Residency for NYC-based artists. Applications are due May 22. | Abrons Arts Center
- Emerging and established writers can apply to the Arts Writers Grant Program for articles, books, and short-form writing. Selected applicants will receive grants between $15,000 and $50,000. The deadline is May 20. | Arts Writers
- Women figurative realist painters can apply to the Bennett Prize, which awards $50,000 to a woman artist to create a traveling solo exhibition. Applications are open through October 16. | Hyperallergic
- Artists 45 and under in the United States can apply to the Museum of Arts and Design’s Burke Prize for artists working with glass, fiber, clay, metal, or wood. Applications are due May 31. | Hyperallergic
- Co—Conspirator Press opened a call for unpublished manuscripts, around 4,000 to 5,000 words long, to be included in a published book. The deadline is May 31. | WWCW
- Applications for the 2020 Dias Art Prize are open. | Dias Art Prize
- Gumbo Magazine is accepting pitches across mediums (writing, comics, visual art, podcasts, etc.) for its upcoming digital zine in response to COVID-19, with the theme of Afrofuturism. Submissions are open through May 15. | Gumbo Media
- Apply to the Hamiltonian Artists Fellowship based in Washington, DC through May 15. | HA
- Submit artwork to the Humble Art Foundation‘s online exhibition, Easy Spirit: New Photography On Walking. It will be co-curated by Jon Feinstein and Bryan Formhals and advised by Roula Seikaly. Applications are due May 15. | HAF
- Canadian citizens or permanent residents can submit to the 2021 edition of MOMENTA Biennial, titled Sensing Nature. Applications are open through May 24. | MOMENTA
- The Peace Studio is seeking submissions of visual, literary, performing, musical, and spiritual arts for its “100 Offerings of Peace” project through May 15. Selected applicants will receive $250. | Peace Studio
- Photographers can submit to Vantage Point Sharjah 8 (VPS8), an annual initiative by the Sharjah Art Foundation. Selected applicants will be featured in an exhibition at the Al Mureijah Art Spaces. The application deadline is May 16. | Sharjah Art Foundation
- The Tri-State Relief Fund to Support Non-Salaried Workers in the Visual Arts will support freelance and contract arts workers in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut with one-time unrestricted grants of $2,000. | Hyperallergic
- The Women’s Center for Creative Work (WCCW) is seeking a Programs & Press Intern for the fall and winter. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. | WCCW
- Burnaway, Common Field, Creative Capital, and the Joan Mitchell Foundation also have comprehensive roundups sharing COVID-19 relief opportunities.
There’s also still time to apply for opportunities that appeared in April’s “Opportunities for Artists”:
- Apply for the Adolph & Esther Gottlieb Foundation emergency grant. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. | Gottlieb Foundation
- Submit art featuring public health and safety messages about flattening the curve, and art promoting mental health and social change, to Amplifier’s Global Open Call For Art. Thirty winning artists will be awarded $1,000 each. The open call ends May 8. | Amplifier
- You can apply or donate to the Arts Leaders of Color Emergency Fund. | GoFundMe
- Apply for assistance from the Authors League Fund. | ALF
- CUE Art Foundation and the US International Association of Art Critics (AICA) are looking for Philadelphia-based writers to write critical essays about artist James Maurelle. The deadline is May 12. | CUE
- Apply for the Dramatists Guild Foundation’s emergency grants. | DGF
- Musicians impacted by coronavirus can apply for Equal Sound‘s corona relief fund. | Equal Sound
- Apply to the Foundation for Contemporary Arts‘s COVID-19 emergency grants. Applications close May 31. | FCA
- Hyperallergic and Y.ES Contemporary are accepting applications for a 2020 arts writers grant; writers interested in covering contemporary arts in and about El Salvador should apply by May 15. | Hyperallergic
- The Palestinian Museum has opened a call for papers for the museum’s research and civic engagement program. Submissions deadlines were extended to May 15. | Palestinian Museum
- Apply for PEN America‘s Writers’ Emergency Fund. | PEN
- You can apply for or donate to the Queer Writers of Color Relief Fund. | GoFundMe
- Apply for the Schaufler Residency@TU Dresden through May 10. | TU Dresden
- Applications for SculptureCenter’s 2021 In Practice Call for Artist Proposals are open through June 15. | SculptureCenter
- The deadline to submit to the 2020 Sharjah Art Foundation Film Platform was extended to May 10. | Sharjah Art
- The Trust for Governors Island is seeking proposals for the island’s art and culture. Applications are open until May 29. | Governors Island
The former panels, removed in 2017, featured images dedicated to Confederate Generals Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee.
One researcher, Jürgen Schick, estimated that over half of the region’s historical artworks have been stolen.
The Morgan Library & Museum Presents Another Tradition: Drawings by Black Artists from the American South
This exhibition celebrates the Morgan’s recent acquisition of drawings by Thornton Dial, Nellie Mae Rowe, Henry Speller, Luster Willis, and Purvis Young.
The visual arts institution and educational center is located in the most ethnically diverse urban area in the world.
From stationery featuring work by the quilters of Gee’s Bend to the perfect gift for fans of art and astrology, check out the latest update from the Hyperallergic Store.
Part of the John Michael Kohler Arts Center in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, the Art Preserve also functions as a curated collection facility and is filled with immersive installations.