Teamsters Local 814, which represents the 42 workers of the Sotheby’s art handlers’ union, has settled their 10-month dispute with the Sotheby’s auction house.
Tomorrow, the new Serpentine Pavilion officially opens in London’s Kensington Gardens and judging by the photos this year’s creation by architects Herzog & de Meuron and artist Ai Weiwei may be one of the most beautiful yet.
We would like to take a brief moment to thank this month’s sponsors. These are the organizations and companies that keep us publishing, so be sure to check them out!
- Artspace – Collect art from the world’s best contemporary artists at accessible prices
- Art Southampton – The Premiere International Contemporary & Modern Art Fair in the Hamptons, July 26–30
- Creative Time – Tom Sachs – Space Program: Mars at the Park Avenue Armory through July 17
- Corey Helford Gallery – Motion: The Art of Movement, a major group exhibition opens June 9
- Saatchi Online – Online gallery that connects artists and art lovers directly
- Hunter College MFA Thesis Exhibit 2012 – May 17–June 16
- Brooklyn College MFA Thesis Show 2012 – June 9–17
- Lumen Festival – International video art and projection festival in Staten Island, Sat, June 23
- Storefront Bushwick – Bushwick gallery currently featuring artists Adbolreza Aminlari and Drew Shiflett
- New York Studio School – Summer Intensives from June 4–July 20
- Claremont Graduate University MFA – A highly focused graduate-only studio-art program
- Art Systems – Professional art gallery, antiques and collections management software
- Capricious Magazine – Platform to feature the work of emerging and underrepresented fine art photographers
- Richard Minsky – “The Book Art of Richard Minsky”
If you are interested in advertising on Hyperallergic, please get in touch with Nectar Ads, the Art Ad Network.
LOS ANGELES — Sometimes, the best way to find information about a subject is not simply to Google it, but to Google Image it.
City Hall Park’s newest exhibit has artists realizing public monuments as acts of memorial and common experience, as well as shared moments of public art whimsy.
MyPeople Project attempts to help connect artists around the world with each other.
Baltimore’s Contemporary Museum closed suddenly this month, shutting down in the middle of an exhibition run and posting a notice to announce the decision a few days later.
How to handle over 500 studios, shows and events at this year’s Bushwick Open Studios? Follow our prescription guide!
With the dawn of the New Aesthetic upon us, survival in this brave new world is paramount. Here is what you need to know.
I’ve gone many random places for art, but I never thought I would end up surrounded by lab-coat-wearing doctors and other medical professionals in a lecture hall at the Queens Hospital Center listening to Russian expat artist Alexander Melamid speak about the benefits of art healing.
CHICAGO — The Roy Lichtenstein exhibition at the Art Institute of Chicago (AIC) is everything a retrospective should be. It takes an incontrovertibly significant artist, assembles art from all phases of his career, includes well-known and less well-known works and tries to make the case for an oeuvre, as opposed to a succession of unconnected objects. If you like Lichtenstein’s work, you will love this show.
Recess has launched a new initiative, called Commission, which connects emerging collectors to Recess artists through the commissioning of a small individualized art works. You’d be crazy not to take advantage of this.