There’s a world of opportunities for those who know where to look. To get you started, Hyperallergic has launched this monthly resource for artists and creatives eager to get their work out there and challenge themselves to create something new.
- A.I.R. Gallery invites artists to donate a postcard-sized work (6×4 inches) in any medium relating to the theme of immigrant rights and advocacy for its annual postcard show. Each work is sold for $45 and all proceeds go to benefit A.I.R. Gallery programs. Entry is free and all works are accepted. Work details should be submitted online, and then shipped or dropped off at A.I.R. Gallery by May 15.
- Art Hawaii International is seeking proposals for immersive installations related to the theme “Art Ecosystem: Upcycled” (artwork created with upcycled, recycled, sustainable materials), and installations driven by technology, multi-media, light, sound, mapping, and immersive experiences. The artworks will be featured in the fair and in public spaces. Applications are due April 30. [NYFA]
- BronxArtSpace invites Bronx-based artists to apply for its Artist Residency + Open Studios program. The submission deadline is April 13. [BronxArtSpace]
- Kehinde Wiley has launched a multi-disciplinary artist-in-residency program, Black Rock Senegal. In a press release, Wiley said, “With this project I wanted to explore my own personal relationship with Africa while inviting artists to do the same and to galvanize the growing artistic and creative energies that exist in Africa in an increasing measure with the addition of diverse, international, creative possibility.” Applications for one, two, or three month residencies are due on April 15. [Black Rock Senegal]
- Knockdown Center in Queens, New York is accepting Group Exhibition, Solo Project + Installation, and Main Space Project proposals for 2019-2020. Applications are due April 15. [Knockdown]
- The Leslie-Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art is accepting applications for its queer theater and performance residency. Selected artists will receive an honorarium and free rehearsal space, and will present a work-in-progress showcase at the museum at the end of the residency. Residents will also have the opportunity to stage their project at La MaMa experimental theatre club. The residency is curated by Hyperallergic writer Zachary Small and Leslie-Lohman assistant curator Daniel J Sander. Applications are due May 3. [Leslie-Lohman]
- The Mattress Factory in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania is accepting submissions from national and international artists to be considered for inclusion in its 2020 exhibitions. The submission deadline is July 1. [Mattress Factory]
- The Museum of Art and Design is seeking New York City-based applicants under the age of 30 for its Artist Studios program. Artists-in-residence receive studio space and a stipend. Applicants must also identify racially and/or culturally with a historically underrepresented community and demonstrate the need for financial assistance to advance their artistic careers. Selected artists-in-residence will receive studio space and a stipend. Applications are due April 18. [MAD]
- New York’s Department of Sanitation has launched a “Trucks Of Art” project and contest, asking volunteer artists to submit ideas on how to redesign its 23-ton collection trucks into inspiring works of art. [CBS]
- The Studio Museum in Harlem is accepting applications for its annual museum education practicum to develop skills facilitating and developing strategies that deal with adult, school, youth, and family audiences, with a focus on artists of African descent and contemporary art. Applications are due April 22. [Studio Museum]
- Women’s Center for Creative Work is awarding $60,000 in grant money for its Emergency Health Grant for artists. Eligible applicants must live in Los Angeles, Orange County, San Bernardino or Riverside Counties; identify as female, or trans, or non-binary, or low income, or as a person of color; and have a medical, mental health or dental emergency OR an illness-related financial need. Applications are open until April 7. [WCCW]
Check out even more opportunities at hyperallergic.com/opportunities.