There’s a world of opportunities for those who know where to look. To get you started, Hyperallergic has launched this monthly resource for artists and creatives eager to get their work out there and challenge themselves to create something new.
- A Blade of Grass is seeking socially engaged artists to apply for its 2020 Fellowship, which supports “courageous artists in creating exchanges, experiences, and structures that highlight seemingly intractable social problems, inspire audiences, and energize folks to participate in and sustain long-term social change work.” Fellows receive $20,000 in minimally restricted support. They also have a funding initiative with SPArt for Los Angeles artists, and a fellowship for emerging artists of color in NYC under the age of 30. The application deadline is October 16. | ABOG
- AIR Gallery is hosting an open call for its sixth biannual CURRENTS exhibition, curated by Carmen Hermo. The exhibition will be held January 10–February 9, 2020. Applications are due October 13, 2019. | AIR
- Art+Feminism, a 501(c)3 nonprofit expanding Wikipedia’s coverage of women’s history, is seeking an executive director. Applications are due August 13. | Art and Feminism
- Chicagoland Shorts, an independent short film festival, is accepting applications for short films created by residents of the greater Chicago area, or a strong connection to Chicago. All genres accepted, with a preference for experimental films and video art. Earlybird applications are due August 15; October 1 is the regular deadline. | Film Freeway
- Artists seeking or currently holding an O-1 Artist Visa are invited to apply to an open call Hunter East Harlem Gallery‘s The Extraordinary. The group exhibition “seeks to bring transparency to this process [of acquiring an O-1 artist visa] and at the same time, inspect the system which requires those to have ‘distinction’ and be ‘renowned’ in the arts — a subjective and complicated qualification.” Applications are due August 15. | Hunter East Harlem Gallery
- Applications are open for the fall 2019 session of the Magnum Foundation Fellowship for New York City-based photographers. Applications are due August 15. | Magnum Foundation
- SPRTS, a periodical by Endless Editions, is seeking contributors to its special 5-year anniversary issue. Artwork, text, found images, satirical think pieces, and more (related to the theme “poetry”) should be submitted by August 15. | SPRTS
- Women’s Center for Creative Work (WCCW) is accepting proposals for programming including talks, workshops, discussions, performances, immersive experiences, screenings, and more, which “address labor that is visible and invisible, compensated and uncompensated, creative, technical, intellectual, conceptual and/or emotional.” Applications must be submitted by August 15. | WCCW
There is still time to apply for one opportunity that appeared in July’s “Opportunities for Artists”:
- The Museum of the African Diaspora in San Francisco is seeking applicants for its Emerging Artists Program, a call for artists to submit a solo exhibition proposal of their work. Three final artists will be selected to present a 3-month exhibition of their work. The application deadline is August 5. | MoAD
Check out even more opportunities at hyperallergic.com/opportunities.