Support Hyperallergic’s independent arts journalism.
There’s a world of opportunities for those who know where to look. To get you started, Hyperallergic has launched this monthly resource for artists and creatives eager to get their work out there and challenge themselves to create something new.
- AIR Gallery is accepting applications for its fellowship program which to underrepresented and emerging self-identified women artists in New York City. Applications are due October 21, 2019. | AIR
- Southeastern artists are invited to apply for ArtFields, an annual, nine-day art competition and exhibition in Lake City, South Carolina. Applications close November 1. | Hyperallergic
- ArtsWestchester seeks proposals from professional New York State artists or artist collectives to create a permanent mural for an underpass on the Rockland County path landing. Applications close September 13. | Hyperallergic
- Applications are open for the Capricious Photo Award, which gives one photographer financial and editorial support to complete a body of work. The application deadline is November 1. | Picter
- The City of Cambridge Arts Council is seeking artist submissions for a $300,000 public art commission to commemorate the 19th Amendment. Applications must be submitted by September 30. | Cambridge Arts Council
- Applications are open for the David Prize through December 1. The prize celebrates five New Yorkers who uniquely contribute to the fabric of the city — whether environmentally, culturally, socially, or otherwise. | Hyperallergic
- No Evil Eye Cinema is seeking Louisiana-based filmmakers and video artists to submit shorts on the themes “diasporic reckoning, landscapes, legacy, and memory.” The deadline is September 30. | Instagram
- Pioneer Works will host its first-ever Open Call for 2020-2021 across all residency disciplines in Visual Arts, Music, Technology, and Narrative Arts. Applications close September 30. | Hyperallergic
- Red Bull Arts Detroit 2020 Artist Residency and Curatorial Fellowship applications are open until September 30. | Hyperallergic
- The Space Foundation is accepting applications for its 10th Annual International Student Art Contest, for students between the ages of 3 and 18. The organization is accepting drawing, painting, mixed media, and digital art that falls under the theme “How Exploring Space Improves Life on Earth.” Artwork must be submitted online by the student’s teacher, parent, or legal guardian; the application deadline is November 18. | Space Foundation
- The Teaching Artist Project, a training program for working and emerging teaching artists, is accepting applications. The deadline to apply is September 16. | The Teaching Artist Project
- The Tulsa Artist Fellowship program seeks a variety of contemporary arts disciplines, including arts workers such as curators, publishers, and artistic collaborations. The application deadline is September 13. | Hyperallergic
There is still time to apply for three opportunities that appeared in August’s “Opportunities for Artists”:
- A Blade of Grass is seeking socially engaged artists to apply for its 2020 Fellowship, which supports “courageous artists in creating exchanges, experiences, and structures that highlight seemingly intractable social problems, inspire audiences, and energize folks to participate in and sustain long-term social change work.” Fellows receive $20,000 in minimally restricted support. They also have a funding initiative with SPArt for Los Angeles artists, and a fellowship for emerging artists of color in NYC under the age of 30. The application deadline is October 16. | ABOG
- AIR Gallery is hosting an open call for its sixth biannual CURRENTS exhibition, curated by Carmen Hermo. The exhibition will be held January 10–February 9, 2020. Applications are due October 13, 2019. | AIR
- Chicagoland Shorts, an independent short film festival, is accepting applications for short films created by residents of the greater Chicago area, or a strong connection to Chicago. All genres accepted, with a preference for experimental films and video art. The deadline is October 1. | Film Freeway
Check out even more opportunities at hyperallergic.com/opportunities.