From the moment of their unveiling at the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery, the museum’s official portraits of President Barack Obama and Mrs. Michelle Obama have become iconic. Kehinde Wiley’s portrait of President Obama and Amy Sherald’s portrait of the former First Lady have inspired unprecedented responses from the public.
The Obama Portraits Tour, organized by the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery, will travel to five cities across the US from June 2021 through May 2022 and is expected to reach millions of people who might not otherwise have an opportunity to view these remarkable paintings. This special presentation will encourage conversations on the power of portraiture and its potential to engage communities.
Tour locations include:
- The Art Institute of Chicago; Chicago — June 18, 2021–August 15, 2021
- Brooklyn Museum; Brooklyn, New York — August 27, 2021–October 24, 2021
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art; Los Angeles — November 7, 2021–January 2, 2022
- High Museum of Art; Atlanta — January 14, 2022–March 13, 2022
- The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Houston — March 27, 2022–May 30, 2022
Follow along on social media @smithsoniannpg, #ObamaPortraitsTour.
For more information on The Obama Portraits Tour, visit npg.si.edu.