New York Studio School Marathons explore drawing, painting, and sculpture as direct methodologies for understanding one’s experience in the world. Participants experience a wide range of activating, first-hand strategies for making art, in tandem with the intellectual rigor of extensive group and individual critiques. The innovation and depth inherent in these 10-day programs expand participants’ engagement with their materials of choice, leading to ways of creating that continue far beyond each program’s conclusion. Open to artists of all levels, courses are taught daily in-person or online from 9am–6pm (ET).
Virtual Marathons are an incredible opportunity for artists from around the world to experience the high caliber NYSS Marathons from their respective homes and studios. Offered in real-time through Zoom and Padlet, these courses bring the rigorous exercises, profound insights, and deep connections of in-person Marathons to participants via virtual means.
Summer 2022 Marathons
Session I: Monday, June 6–Friday, June 17
- Drawing Marathon VIRTUAL – Graham Nickson & Guests
- Hudson River Painting Marathon IN-PERSON – Clintel Steed
- Sculpture Marathon IN-PERSON – Brandt Junceau
Session II: Monday, June 20–Friday, July 1
- Painting Marathon VIRTUAL – Graham Nickson & Guests
- Painting Marathon IN-PERSON – Ilse Murdock
- Bas Relief Sculpture Marathon IN-PERSON – Jilaine Jones
- Drawing Marathon IN-PERSON – Linda Darling
Session III: Wednesday, July 6–Tuesday, July 19
- Why Paint the Figure Painting Marathon VIRTUAL – Elisa Jensen
- Painting Marathon IN-PERSON – Catherine Lepp
- “Room with a View” Landscape VIRTUAL – Fran O’Neill
Generous partial scholarships are available.
Join us this summer in NYC or virtually from anywhere in the world to elevate your practice and connect with a community of dedicated artists!
The New York Studio School was founded in 1964 as an intensive studio arts program with an emphasis on perception, artists learning from artists, and drawing as the most direct means of describing one’s ideas or experiences. To learn more about our full-time programs: MFA, Certificate, and Virtual Certificate; or additional part-time options: Evening & Weekend Classes, Drawing Master Classes, and Sculpture Master Classes; please email Recruitment & Public Outreach Officer Erin Hinz with any questions or to schedule a virtual or in-person visit.
For more information on NYSS Summer 2022 Marathons, visit nyss.org.