The Center for Art, Research and Alliances (CARA) is an arts nonprofit, research center, and publisher opening in New York City in October 2022.
As a prologue, CARA is pleased to announce Conjurings, a public program unfolding this summer. Shaped by scholars, artists, musicians, writers, sonic technologies, and many other life forms and disciplines, Conjurings will braid invocation, incantation, questioning, un-earthing, and ceremony to open space for future (un)doings.
Conjuring #1 | July 8–10
- Friday (7pm): Lamin Fofana, Jace Clayton
- Saturday (1pm): Alexis Pauline Gumbs, Robin D.G. Kelley and Lamin Fofana, Wanda Phipps, Miatta Kawinzi, JJJJJerome Ellis, ray ferreira, DeForrest Brown, Jr.
- Sunday (1pm): Marilyn Nance, RaFia Santana, Neema Githere, Grandma Baby Apothecary
Conjuring #2 | July 22–24
- Friday (7pm): Humeysha and friends
- Saturday (1pm): Amal Alhaag with Kwame Coleman, Negarra Kudumu, Louis Chude-Sokei, Johann Diedrick, The Otolith Group with Ed Halter, Mahan Moalemi, Fred Moten, Brandon Lopez, Miya Masakoa, and Zeena Parkins, Azikiwe Mohammed/DJ Black Helmet
- Sunday (1pm): The Black School, Cy X, Pedro Neves Marques, Amanda Piña
Conjuring #3 | August 5–7
- Friday (7pm): Sugar Vendil, Aldrin Valdez, Les The DJ
- Saturday (1pm): Social Dreaming Mesh (Erika Sprey and Peter Aers), Lavender Suarez, Emerson Uýra, Charles Theonia, Wo Chan, Nicole Wallace, Maria Hupfield with Electric Djinn, Suzanne Kite and Robbie Wing, Kemi Alabi, Camille Barton and Annika Izora
- Sunday (1pm): Social Dreaming Mesh (Erika Sprey and Peter Aers), Cousin Collective, Gavilán Rayna Russom
Blue CHiLD. & iris yirei hu will produce a commissioned installation in CARA’s main gallery. We will also host an exhibition with works by Amanda Piña, Betty Tchomanga, Emerson Uyra, Grandma Baby Apothecary, June Jordan, Khari-Johnson Ricks, Marilyn Nance, Sky Hopinka, Neema Githere, Juan Alvear, and the late Anishinaabe and Chemehuevi poet Diane Burns.
Conjurings is curated by Erika Sprey, Lamin Fofana, Sky Hopinka, Emmy Catedral, and Manuela Moscoso.
Reserve your spot at artsvp.co.
Learn more about the program at cara-nyc.org.