President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion COVID stimulus bill, called the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, includes a total of $470 million in relief to arts and cultural organizations.
The bill, passed by Senate Democrats on Saturday, March 6, appropriates $135 million to both the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH). It also sets aside $200 million for the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS).
Under the bill’s provisions, 60% of the funds appropriated for the NEA and NEH should be dedicated to direct grants, and relevant administrative expenses, to support organizations that have been impacted by the pandemic. The remaining 40% are to be dedicated to state agencies and regional arts organizations.
The proposed funds far exceed the respective $75 million allocated to the NEA and NEH in the Trump administration’s 2020 Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES) Act. Throughout his presidency, Trump threatened to slash the agency’s funds, once labeling spending toward its activities as “wasteful and unnecessary funding.”
In 2020, the NEA distributed funds provided by the CARES Act to 855 organizations across the country. The organizations received grants to support staff salaries, fees for artists or contractual workers, and facilities costs.
The current Senate-approved version of the stimulus package will go back to the House for another vote before it heads to President Biden’s desk to be signed into law. If passed, it will nearly double the NEA’s 2021 budget, which currently stands at $167.5 million.
A spokesperson for the NEH declined to comment on the current bill, saying that it’s not the agency’s policy to comment on proposed legislation.
What would it look like if museums turned their billions toward positive good instead of questionable investments simply for profit?
Patricio Guzmán combines reflection on the past, observation of the present, and hope for the future into an expansive vision of all the ideas he’s explored in his work.
Artists reflect on histories of oppressive power structures in Brazil in this exhibition at the Visual Arts Center at the University of Texas at Austin.
So closely do Disney’s animators assimilate the sensibility of French design that on occasion their source material appears almost more Disney than Disney itself.
The Grand Avenue Billboard Project enables artists like Karen Fiorito to publicly express their political views.
The museum opens to the public on October 8 with a 24-hour kickoff and a rebooted California Biennial.
The report estimates that 6.7 million Indigenous objects and human remains continue to be held in Canadian institutions, most of which do not have formal repatriation policies.
Funding options at UB include full-tuition scholarships for MFA students, the Arthur A. Schomburg Fellowship Program, and additional opportunities for MA students.
The Association of Art Museum Directors announced a shift in its longstanding policy, which restricted the use of funds from sales of art to new acquisitions only.
Martín Mobarak may have broken Mexican law, but he burned the proof.
Your list of must-see, fun, insightful, and very Los Angeles art events this month, including the Maya Codex of Mexico at the Getty, Beatrice Wood, Trenton Doyle Hancock, and more.