“We have leaned into all the options we have available to us, including decreasing operating expenses, hiring freezes, analyzing business needs and departmental priorities, and reducing leadership salaries,” said Director Richard Armstrong in a letter to staff today.
In a letter sent today, the group A Better Guggenheim lists allegations of sexism, racism, classism, and abuse against Richard Armstrong, Elizabeth Duggal, and Nancy Spector.
The activist group says that the new museum is being “built on the back of exploited, indebted, and abused workers.”
On April 13, the Guggenheim Board of Trustees informed the Gulf Labor Coalition that it will no longer negotiate with the group regarding the living and working conditions of the workers who are and will be building its museum in Abu Dhabi.
An extensive report in the New York Times today dives into the Guggenheim’s longstanding bid for a franchise in the Finnish capital of Helsinki, detailing the rocky reception to the project since it was first proposed in 2011.
The following statement was emailed to Hyperallergic, and it is a response to Guggenheim Director Richard Armstrong’s statement earlier today:
Today, the Guggenheim provided Hyperallergic with the following statement from Director Richard Armstrong in response to our request for comment on Saturday night’s protest action in the museum by G.U.L.F.
Last week, we reported on the growing concern in the visual art and human rights communities about the treatment of workers at the Abu Dhabi Guggenheim project, and this week two Guggenheim leaders have written directly to two prominent artists who signed the petition.