Support Hyperallergic’s independent arts journalism.
Transactions is a weekly collection of sales, acquisitions, and other deals. Subscribe to receive these posts as part of the weekly Art Movements newsletter.
To mark the culmination of its A Year of Yes: Reimagining Feminism program, the Brooklyn Museum announced the acquisition of 96 works, including pieces by Emma Amos, the Guerrilla Girls, Miriam Schapiro, Betty Tompkins, Andrea Bowers, Judy Chicago, Mary Beth Edelson, Nona Faustine, Deborah Kass, An-My Lê, Joan Semmel, Sylvia Sleigh, Joan Snyder, Nancy Spero, Jana Sterbak, and Martha Wilson. The acquisitions include many works by artists who were featured in exhibitions that marked the 10th anniversary of the Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art, including Beverly Buchanan, Marilyn Minter, and Betye Saar.
Collector Alicia Koplowitz donated the painting “The Triumph of Love over War” (1784) by Luis Paret y Alcázar to the Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
The J. Paul Getty Museum acquired two French bronzes: Camille Claudel‘s “Torso of a Crouching Woman” and Auguste Rodin‘s “Bust of John the Baptist.” “It is particularly gratifying to be able to acquire a major work by Claudel — Rodin’s student and lover — at a time when her achievement as an artist is receiving the recognition it deserves,” Timothy Potts, the director of the J. Paul Getty Museum, said in a statement.
Bonhams Hong Kong auction of Chinese ceramics and art brought in a total of $11.2 million. The sale’s star lot was an archaic jade ritual cong vessel from the Neolithic-era Liangzhu culture (3,300–2,250 BCE), which more than quadrupled its high estimate, selling for $2.8 million.
An ornate Chinese vase from the early 18th century that had been in the permanent collection of the Philbrook Museum of Art since 1960, but was rarely exhibited, sold for $14.5 million at Christie’s Hong Kong auction house.
The Dallas Museum of Art acquired the monumental painting “The Descent from the Cross” (ca 1480–90) by the German artist Derick Baegert. The work is the museum’s first acquisition under the auspices of the Marguerite and Robert Hoffman Fund for pre-1700 European Art.