CALLING ALL MIAMI ART WRITERS! This is a quick note to announce that Hyperallergic editor Hrag Vartanian is thrilled to be judging this year’s Miami Writer’s Prize alongside fellow art heads Hunter Braithwaite (ThereIsNoThere), Noah Becker (Whitehot Magazine) and Paddy Johnson (ArtFagCity).
So … if you are a Miami resident who is keen on encouraging the discourse of contemporary art, now is your time to bum rush the blogosphere! Submit an original review of an art related event for a chance to win an eight-post Guest Blogger position at Artlurker, a stipend of $800 and your very own, very fancy (maybe not super fancy but definitely fun) soiree to honor your achievement.
The Miami Writers Prize 2012 is open for submissions. Eligible entrants may submit one original review of a recent art-related event.
Deadline is May 4.
More details below:
Event: Miami Writer’s Prize 2012
Deadline: May 4, 2012
Reception: May 24, 2012, 7pm–9pm, Locust Projects
ARTLURKER, a Miami-based online publication for the contemporary arts, is proud to announce it is accepting submissions for the third year of the Miami Writer’s Prize, an annual prize that aims to encourage residents of Miami to write about contemporary art and foster accountability for contemporary art discourse through reinforcement of the blogging format.
This year’s prize is funded by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation and artist Carlos Betancourt, sponsored by Locust Projects and judged by a panel of preeminent writers/web publishers – Hrag Vartanian (Hyperallergic), Hunter Braithwaite (ThereIsNoThere), Noah Becker (Whitehot Magazine) and Paddy Johnson (Art Fag City).
The winner will be announced via www.artlurker.com on May 18, 2012.
A soiree in their honor will be held at Locust Projects (3852 North Miami Avenue) on May 24, 2012.
To qualify, entrants must:
- Be over 18 years of age and reside in Miami Dade county
- Have had no more than three pieces of their art writing published in a print publication (previous online publication, except for on Artlurker.com, is permitted)
- Email one previously unpublished review of a recent art related event, approximately 800 words in length to writersprize [at] artlurker [dot] com
Entries must be submitted:
- As a Word (.doc) attachment
- In English (translations are accepted, but this must be acknowledged)
- Without images
Guest Blogging Requirements
- Posts must be art related
- Author must have first hand experience if writing a review of a recent exhibition or event
More info: artlurker.com/miamiwritersprize
As arts communities around the world experience a time of challenge and change, accessible, independent reporting on these developments is more important than ever.
Please consider supporting our journalism, and help keep our independent reporting free and accessible to all.