Support Hyperallergic’s independent arts journalism.
In a surprising alignment, the members of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences have agreed with Hyperallergic contributors’ assessment that the best film of 2019 is Bong Joon-ho’s Parasite. At last night’s Academy Awards ceremony, the film brought in four wins — for Best Original Screenplay, Best International Film, Best Director, and Best Picture. We are obviously ecstatic that one of our favorite films of the decade has earned such mainstream success and acclaim. It’s a historic moment for several reasons:
- Obviously, this is the first South Korean film to win Best International Feature (formerly Best Foreign Language Film).
- This is the first film to win both Best International Feature and Best Picture.
- And of course, this is the first non-English-language film ever to win Best Picture.
- This is also the first non-English-language film to win a screenplay Oscar since 2002’s Talk to Her. Bong Joon-ho and Han Jin-won are the first East Asian people to win a screenwriting Oscar.
- Bong Joon-ho has tied with Walt Disney for winning the most Oscars in a single year. (Disney similarly won four at the 1954 ceremony, for four separate films he produced.)
- Less distinct but still interesting: this is only the third winner of the Cannes Film Festival Palme d’Or to go on to win Best Picture, after 1946’s The Lost Weekend and 1955’s Marty.
Congrats to cinephiles everywhere for the validation. Congrats to the #BongHive for their triumph. Congrats to the Oscars for getting things right for once. And of course, congrats to Eminem for getting to perform “Lose Yourself” again, for some reason.
Your list of must-see, fun, insightful, and very New York art events this month.
Your list of must-see, fun, insightful, and very Los Angeles art events this month.
Located in a historic industrial manufacturing facility in Utica, New York, this sculpture-centric program is accepting applications through January 15, 2022.
When looking at images from the golden age of Sudanese photography, I was reminded to listen as much as look.
“I’m making a financial instrument as an artwork. That’s the new reality.” She stares unwavering into the distance. “What is existence on the blockchain? Does an NFT exist?”
In 2011, VCFA created the first low-residency master’s in graphic design. Today, this student-centered, inquiry-based program is a leader in design education.
Oh, to Be a Painter! collects nine of Woolf’s published art reviews, catalogue essays, and experimental texts from 1920 to 1936.
Casual and obsessive fans of the band alike will appreciate the sheer volume of new material in Peter Jackson’s epic-length docuseries.
This exhibition in Great Falls, Montana addresses the concept of intention in contemporary fiber art and its complex relationship with the history of women’s art as craft.
Thirty artworks entered the collections of the Blanton Museum of Art, the Hood Museum of Art, the Princeton University Art Museum, the RISD Museum, and the Hampton University Museum.
Amnesty International urged the council to begin infringement proceedings against Turkey for its arbitrary detainment of the arts philanthropist.
The sovereign led a mass vaccination campaign against smallpox that laid the groundwork for over two million Russians to be inoculated against the deadly disease