Support Hyperallergic’s independent arts journalism.
The Louvre in Paris, the world’s largest art museum, is also the most Instagrammed. The distinction was recently bestowed by an analysis from the British printer cartridge supplier Cartridge Save. With more than four million hashtags on Instagram, the French institution tops other world-famous museums on the list, including New York’s Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), London’s Tate Modern, and Saint Petersburg’s State Hermitage Museum.
With visitors snapping shots in front of iconic installations like I. M. Pei’s Louvre Pyramid, the Andy Warhol soup cans at MoMA, or the lamp posts outside of LACMA, patrons have collectively published millions of images from their trips to cultural institutes.
The analysis ranked the world’s 20 most Instagrammed art museums based on the number of related hashtags for each museum. The results show that the United States is home to the most popular art museums on social media (six out of the 20), followed by the United Kingdom (four), and France (three).
Here are the 20 most Instagrammed art museums in the world:
- Louvre Museum, France (4,029,777 hashtags)
- Museum of Modern Art, USA (2,514,885 hashtags)
- Tate Modern, UK (1,151,090 hashtags)
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art, USA (862,148 hashtags)
- State Hermitage Museum, Russia (836,395 hashtags)
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, USA (695,201 hashtags)
- National Gallery, UK (560,285 hashtags)
- Musée d’Orsay, France (488,477 hashtags)
- Centre Pompidou, France (476,215 hashtags)
- The Broad, USA (460,837 hashtags)
- Vatican Museums, Italy (460,374 hashtags)
- The Uffizi, Italy (439,831 hashtags)
- Victoria and Albert Museum, UK (436,974 hashtags)
- National Gallery of Victoria, Australia (403,432 hashtags)
- Whitney Museum of American Art, USA (334,100 hashtags)
- Somerset House, UK (249,247 hashtags)
- Tretyakov Gallery, Russia (243,542 hashtags)
- Van Gogh Museum, Netherlands (215,474 hashtags)
- Art Institute of Chicago, USA (186,228 hashtags)
- National Museum of Korea, Korea (167,990 hashtags)